The following surface mount technology services are offered:
Paste and Adhesive Printing
Kokomo Electronic Assembly prints a comprehensive variety of pastes and adhesives. We primarily use laser cut or electroformed stencils (hard nickel or stainless steel), which may include step up or step down relief architecture. We also produce and use variable wire count and diameter screens, if necessary. Different options of blade material (stainless steel infused with Teflon, high durometer polyurethane) and print head technology (automatic paste dispense, rheometric pump) are offered.
- MPM Accela
- MPM UP2000 HiE
Paste Automated Optical Inspection
Kokomo Electronic Assembly 100% verifies paste deposition. Using Automated Optical Inspection, we 2D or 3D inspect every pad for proper print location, surface area coverage, and (with 3D inspection) volume.
- Agilent SP-50
- MVP Ultra 18-20 2D inspection (UV lighting for flux detection, 48 1.4 megapixel images/second)
Kokomo Electronic Assembly places a variety of components including the following: (1) Fine-pitch Flip chip; (2) Fine-pitch BGA; (3) 0402 capability; (4) Bare-die; (5) Fine-pitch QFP; (6) Headers; (7) large surface mount components; and (8) Pin-in-Paste components.
- Assembleon FCM Base II (16 robots, +56kph, bare-die placement, hybrid-capable)
- Assembleon ACM (upward looking camera, odd-form placement)
- Universal Genesis (dual beam, 2000 ppi digital acquisition, +/- 45 micron accuracy, inline 7 heads)
- Siemens X4, HF3, HS50, HS60 (+/-80 micron accuracy, flip chip capable, +100kph)
- Chad (robotic odd-form placement)
- Cimple Cell (robotic odd-form placement)
- Manual insertion
In order to reduce processing time and product cost, Kokomo Electronic Assembly flashes specific devices with sufficient code to interact with in-circuit or functional tests (prior to final test). This reduces WIP between quality gates and reduces programming time.
- Pro-line Roadrunner (FlashPak programmers)
Component Automated Optical Inspection (pre-reflow)
Kokomo Electronic Assembly 100% verifies component location and orientation before and/or after reflow.
- MVP Ultra II 18-20 2D inspection (48 1.4 megapixel images/seconds, three, large format camera)
Kokomo Electronic Assembly convection reflows all products.
- Electrovert OmniExcel 10 (Pb-free capable, 10 heating zones, 3 liquid-controlled, cooling zones, nitrogen-inerted to <100 O2 PPM, rail heaters)
- Electrovert OmniExcel 7 (Pb-free capable, 7 heating zones, 3 liquid-controlled, cooling zones, single and double lanes, rail heaters, nitrogen-inerted to <500 02 PPM)
Transparent To Test (TTT) Automated Optical Inspection
In cases where electrical test will not catch a missing component, we employ TTT Automated Optical Inspection. By either 2D/3D optical image acquisition or laser presence/absence check, TTT verifies component placement. In the case of optical inspection, TTT also verifies location, polarity, and fillet presence.
- Agilent SJ-50
- Agilent SJ-5000
- MVP Ultra 18-20 2D inspection (48 1.4 megapixel images/second, quad lighting)
If required, Kokomo Electronic Assembly runs products through a wash process to remove flux. Utilizing a 6-stage, semi aqueous wash, our FARR washer removes flux and ionics with 80-psi jets, Ionox I-3302 solvent, and heated DI water. As an effective cleaner, Ionox is able to dissolve aged flux, even once it has oxidized. Because it is water soluble, I-3302 effectively removes organic contaminants that may interfere with downstream process (e.g., wirebonding).
- FARR 6-stage semi aqueous wash (80-psi jets, I-3302, heated, multistage DI rinse)
Vapor Immersion Degreaser
A vapor immersion degreaser inexpensively removes flux from hard-to-reach locations. By removing surface contamination and excessive flux, degreasers enhance Underfill adhesion properties. Utilizing low boiling point solvents, degreasers can effectively get into and around tight-tolerance components (e.g., flip chip IC’s). Degreasers can also remove a wide variety of contaminants while minimizing environmental impact.
Degreasers remove contaminates by using a 3 stage, heated, batch style vapor degreasing system with Micronox MX2501 solvent. Each stage consists of immersion heaters and recirculating pumps that supply heat and agitation for the flux removal.
- TREK Industries DCC Batch Style Cleaning System
For quality control and analytical purposes, we typically utilize the following:
- Laser Sectioning Machine (LSM)
- LCR meter for passive component electrical verification
- Automated rework workstation
Underfill (flip chips)
To prevent flip chip solder bumps from experiencing thermal or mechanical fatigue, Kokomo Electronic Assembly utilizes an epoxy-underfill process. The one-part epoxy material is dispensed around the perimeter of flip chip IC’s using a Camalot Xyflex Pro. During this process boards are preheated and the epoxy material is drawn under the flip chips by capillary action. After thermal cure the material reinforces the solder joints between the IC package and the substrate or circuit board preventing fracture or elongation of the solder during thermal or mechanical stress.
- .Electrovert (Camalot) Xyflex Pro
Through Hole Placement
In addition to hand insertion, Kokomo Electronic Assembly offers several automated platforms to pick and place odd form components:
- Chad Through Hole Insertion robot with multiple grippers.
- Assembleon Advanced Component Mounter (ACM; upward looking cameras, gripper tools, dual beam)
- Siemens F5/HF3
- Cimple Cell